There are golden rules to be followed when you are doing Data Journalism. My list consist of ten commandments that always coming up in my head and also I like to share with people interested in improving the quality of journalism.
Which other rules would you add?
Data Journalism Commandments
- You shall love your data with healthy skepticism.
- You shall not take the seriousness of your analysis in vain.
- You shall worship in-depth analysis of the data but not disregarding the way you are telling the story.
- You shall understand the data as a means to an end, rather than as an end in itself.
- Honor the public interest based on data analysis.
- You shall not embrace a hypothesis; if you insist, you will force your data to say what they do not say.
- You shall not commit the mistake of avoid reporting. The data are not sacred. Between the data base and the story there always has to be Journalism.
- You shall not work alone.
- You shall not depend on any software but on your good nose, critical thinking, statistics skills and analysis techniques
- You shall not stop learning.